Friday, November 30, 2012

Surviving As A Ginger

Sound: Stove boiling my tortilla soup, yum!

All right, so it was my day off and I've been thinking its about time I got myself a passport. So you know, if I ever have to flee the country, it won't be too much of a hassle. Anyways, so I walked seven blocks up to Main to get my picture taken, only to find they would be closed for another hour or so.

Eh, fine, so I went shopping. I'm a girl, it's not that hard. Plus it was the Catholic Thrift Shop's end-of-the-month sale so even better, I spent less than $6 whilst there. Still too early, so I walked all the way back home. By then, my ears hurt from the cold [storm coming?], but I grabbed an energy bar and headed back.

^Where I plan on traveling. Guess the route I'll take!^


I got my picture taken at Zion Photography [they have two adorable dogs], for just $10 and he gave me four copies, so that was all good. Thus, I made my way across Main several more blocks to the Post Office. After maybe five minutes, I was inside.

Only to find out California in the early 1990's made some mistake with their birth certificates [they look fine to me and are still technically legal], but they wouldn't take it so I left with everything I had arrived with. The very nice lady had given me a website where to go to get this worked out- and it would cost $33, not including shipping.

Basically, it would cost me at least $200 for a passport. I'm a bargain hunter, and that didn't make me happy. After all, my sisters have their cards and books just fine without a hitch.

My .8 mile walk home, I was internally ranting [I am only human!] how of course this would happen to me. Who else? Nothing ever comes easy for me, and after 20 years I still have nothing to show for myself. I can't even get my passport when my sisters got theirs without a problem. Nothing is allowed to work out for me until I have ripped through the walls, torn out my hair, and ranted and raved and cried about it for weeks on end.

It was just one of those feelings. But I got home, got some food in my system [miracle worker!] and it's gotten me thinking. Which is usually a good thing, though, maybe?

Anyways, people love asking me about my temper. After all, I'm a redhead. We're famous for that.

^Me sort of doing the stupid duck face and looking sassy because now and then, I remember how awesome I am, though I might be pushing it a little far sometimes^


I don't even know why. Okay, that's a partial lie. I remember reading something just the other week about in some culture, Native American or Indian or something, they preferred burning people with redhair because it symbolized fire and the devil.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

On top of all that, I'm decked out in freckles and people say that I have one for every soul I suck...? As for where that came from, I haven't got a clue. That one's a little beyond me- first time I heard of that was whilst working at Disney World and my coworkers started making fun of me for that [that may have been before or after I made a remark about not being about to tan which maybe they took offensively?]...

Anyways. So a new coworker asked if I had the infamous redhead temper. To be honest, I never know what to tell people. That I can act like a pissed off dragon or for all you know, I'm always the (slightly awkward) umm....princess doesn't really quite cut it, haha. How about.... Luna Lovegood. That's who!

^ Me in my natural habitat and happy state of mind^


Like most people, I had a tricky time growing up- and I'm a girl, so I haven't always taken things in stride. But I do work hard, day after day, to be the best version of myself. As my family knows too well, and Katie because as my best friend and roommate, it's bound to happen eventually, I'm not always happy or collected.

But I try to be. I work really, really hard so I'm not the "typical redhead" stereotype who gets pissed off at just about anything. It's not that I'm a people pleaser, but I do enjoy being around people and I'd like to keep doing that [and never getting locked up in a mental ward would be fabulous]. It's not like I'm always containing my rage, that's not what I mean either- but I'm like most people. I love laughing, smiling, and happy people- I like being one of those. But if you take a step too far and try pushing me in the wrong direction, I might not exactly be smiling- but don't worry. I don't know karate- yet.

Anyways, we get fame and endure the shame, but that's okay. I can mock my sisters for being blonde, can't I? And as much fun as it is to mock people for what they are born with- be careful now and then because people can take it to heart.



*Don't get me wrong, I love my freckles and I love being a ginger. I wouldn't trade it for anything else, except for the often craving to dye my hair silver or teal. But life is tricky for us all, so don't make a stereotypical thought that it's ever easier for anyone because of their hair color or anything...or something like that, ;)


1 comment:

  1. Yeah I got my passport taken care of without a hitch...except I had to pay $250 for it when all was said and done and that's not fun. So at least that's still less than me! :) do we have any of your birth certificates here? cause i have two apparently and one works and one doesn't.
    Just because I got my passport a little bit easier than you doesn't mean I don't have my share of problems with things being difficult for me. It's just different for different people.

    ReplyDelete